Experiences, characteristics, and features of developing new towns between 1898 and 1970
- New towns,
- Garden city,
- Satellite new towns,
- urban development
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 European Journal of Geography
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The decision on developing a new town is always informed by the needs and requirements of regional and national planning on the basis of political viewpoints, natural recourses, industrial facilities, and population surplus viewpoints. In different areas, new towns were built to address the emerging social, economic, and environmental problems by supporting better living, enabling urban activities, and supporting industrial expansion. Following the review of the related literature, this study compared the theories and bases for building new towns and studied the experiences of different countries as examples. The present desktop research was carried out based on a narrative review in order to develop a framework for assessing the success of new town projects in response to the underlying needs and aims. Although the survey of literature did not result in harmonized measures of success or failure of new towns, the identified critical measures assist decision-and policy-makers to adopt appropriate strategies to assure a higher rate of success for developing new towns.
- Characterizes the “new towns’ features” and provides a narrative of experiences related to new towns.
- Provides a historical overview of three eras with regard to new town since 1898.
- Provides an overview of Newtown's success and weakness factors.
- Abou-Zeid, A. M. (1979). New towns and rural development in Egypt. Africa, 49(3), 283-290.
- Aeeni, M., Zabihi, H., & Saeideh Zarabadi, Z. S. (2019). An Assessment Model for Challenges of Urban Management System in Iranian New Towns, Based on Interpretive Structural Modeling (ISM) Approach. The Monthly Scientific Journal of Bagh-e Nazar, 16(75), 33-46. https://doi.org/10.22034/bagh.2019.159255.3880
- Aldridge, M. (1996). Only demi-paradise? Women in garden cities and new towns. Planning Perspectives, 11(1), 23-39. https://doi.org/10.1080/026654396364916
- Atash, F., & Beheshtiha, Y. (1998). New towns and their practical challenges: The experience of Poulad Shahr in Iran. Habitat International, 22(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0197-3975(97)00018-0
- Azizi, M., Arbab, P. (2010). Recognition and Evaluation of Identity Formation Process in New Towns: (The Case Study of Hashtgerd New, Town Iran). Honar-Ha-Ye-Ziba: Memary Va Shahrsazi, 2(42), 47–58.
- Bauer, Kurt W., (1964). A backward glance garden city in Wisconsin, south eastern Wisconsin regional palnning commission technical report, agust-september.
- Belford, P. (2011). Archaeology, community, and identity in an English new town. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice, 2(1), 49-67. https://doi.org/10.1179/175675011X12943261434602
- Berechman, J. (1976). Toward a land use planning model for new towns. International Journal Of Systems Science, 7(2), 225-239. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207727608941913
- Brett‐Crowther, M. (1976). On social coherence and the new towns. International Journal of Environmental Studies, 10(1), 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207237608737299
- Bonato, M. (2015). Cartography and visual correspondences thought and reality of modernism in Europe and China. European Journal of Geography, 6 (2), 35-50.
- Bosma, K. (1990). Town and regional planning in the Netherlands 1920–1945. Planning Perspective, 5(2), 125-147.
- Cai, X., De Meulder, B., Lin, Y., & Sun, H. (2020). New Towns’ Planning and Construction in the Pre-Urbanization or Post-Urbanization Period: A Case Study of the New Towns’ Development Process of Beijing. Sustainability, 12(9), 3721. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12093721
- Clark, B. (2003). Ebenezer Howard And The Marriage Of Town And Country. Organization & Environment, 16(1), 87–97. https://doi.org/10.1177/1086026602250258Clapson, M. (2017). The English New Towns since 1946. Histoire Urbaine, 50(3), 93. https://doi.org/10.3917/rhu.050.0093
- Council, L. C. (2015). The planning of a new town. Routledge.
- Collins, J. A., & Fauser, B. C. J. M. (2005). Balancing the strengths of systematic and narrative reviews. Human Reproduction Update, 11(2), 103–104. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmh058
- Dong, L., Du, R., Kahn, M., Ratti, C., & Zheng, S. (2021). “Ghost cities” versus boom towns: Do China's high-speed rail new towns thrive?. Regional Science And Urban Economics, 89, 103682. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.regsciurbeco.2021.103682
- Eckert, K. (2009). Garden Cities: Lessons from Germany. Focus, 6(1). https://doi.org/10.15368/focus.2009v6n1.7
- Fanni, Z. (2006). Cities and urbanization in Iran after the Islamic revolution. Cities, 23(6), 407-411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2006.08.003
- Fernandes, K. (2002). Urban development and new towns in the Third World, lessons from the new Bombay experience. Habitat International, 26(1), 134-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0197-3975(01)00027-3
- Fishman, R. (1992). The American garden city: Still relevant? In S.V. Ward (Ed.), The garden city: Past, present, and future (pp. 146-164). London: E & FN Spon.
- Ferrari, R. (2015). Writing narrative style literature reviews. Medical Writing, 24(4), 230–235. https://doi.org/10.1179/2047480615z.000000000329
- Forsyth, A., & Peiser, R. (2021). Lessons from planned resettlement and new town experiences for avoiding climate sprawl. Landscape And Urban Planning, 205, 103957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2020.103957
- Forsyth, A., & Peiser, R. (2019). The British new towns: Lessons for the world from the new-town experiment. Town Planning Review, 90(3), 239-246. http://dx.doi.org/10.3828/tpr.2019.17
- Gatarić, D., Belij, M., Đerčan, B., & Filipović, D. (2019). The origin and development of Garden cities: An overview. Zbornik Radova - Geografski Fakultet Univerziteta U Beogradu, 67-1, 33–43. https://doi.org/10.5937/zrgfub1901033g
- Ghosh, M.S., Kumar, D.D. and Kumari, D.R. (2022). Assessing Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Land Surface Temperature and Satellite-Derived Indices for New town development and suburbanization planning. Urban Governance. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ugj.2022.05.001
- González, M. J. G. . (2017). Planning, urban sprawl and spatial thinking. European Journal of Geography, 8(1). Retrieved from https://eurogeojournal.eu/index.php/egj/article/view/276
- Grant, J.L. (2014). Garden City Movement. In: Michalos, A.C. (eds) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Springer, Dordrecht. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-0753-5_3617
- Ha, S. K. (1998). Housing problems and new-town policy in the Seoul Metropolitan Region. Third World Planning Review, 20(4), 375.
- Harati, S., & Zivyari, P. (2012). The Position of New Towns in Urban System. Tehran: Jahad Daneshghahi.
- Harris, T. (2012). The german garden city movement: architecture, politics and urban transformation, 1902-1931(PhD thesis). Columbia university.
- Hegazy, I. R., & Moustafa, W. S. (2013). Toward revitalization of new towns in Egypt case study: Sixth of October. International journal of sustainable built environment, 2(1), 10-18.
- Helbock, R. (1968). New Towns in the United States. The Professional Geographer, 20(4), 242-246. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0033-0124.1968.00242.x
- Howard E. (1902), Garden Cities of To-morrow, S. Sonnenschein & Co, London, UK.
- Joo, Y. M. (2013). New town developments in Korea: Then and now. In Urban megaprojects: A worldwide view. Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Keeton, R., & Nijhuis, S. (2019). Spatial challenges in contemporary African New Towns and potentials for alternative planning strategies. International Planning Studies, 24(3-4), 218-234. https://doi.org/10.1080/13563475.2019.1660625
- Kheyroddin, R., & Ghaderi, M. (2019). New towns as deconcentration or another concentration in the metropolis: evidence from Parand New Town in the Tehran Metropolitan Area. International Journal Of Urban Sciences, 24(1), 69-87. https://doi.org/10.1080/12265934.2019.1604249
- Kim, W. (1977). A Locational Analysis of New Towns for Korea. Journal of East And West Studies, 6(2), 87-103. https://doi.org/10.1080/12265087709431263
- Krasny, P. (1999). Architecture in Poland 1572-1764.
- Kumar, J. (2015). Metropolises in Indian Urban System: 1901-2011. European Journal of Geography, 6(3), 41–51.
- Lee, K., Kim, K., & Kwon, S. (2005). A Study on Characteristics of Subway Utilization and Pedestrians’ Accessibility at New Towns in Korea. Journal Of Asian Architecture And Building Engineering, 4(1), 85-95. https://doi.org/10.3130/jaabe.4.85
- Lee, Y.-S., & Shin, H. (2011). Negotiating the Polycentric City-region: Developmental State Politics of New Town Development in the Seoul Capital Region. Urban Studies, 49(6), 1333–1355. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098011411947
- Li, S., & Zhao, P. (2022). Examining commuting disparities across different types of new towns and different income groups: Evidence from Beijing, China. Habitat International, 124, 102558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2022.102558
- Lin, D., Broere, W., & Cui, J. (2022). Underground space utilisation and new town development: Experiences, lessons and implications. Tunnelling And Underground Space Technology, 119, 104204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2021.104204
- Na, N. (2015). Greenheart metropolis: planning the western Netherlands. Springer.
- Nasiri, K. (2014). New Towns planning. Tehran: Aizh Publications.
- Nikologianni, A., & Larkham, P. J. (2022). The Urban Future: Relating Garden City Ideas to the Climate Emergency. Land, 11(2), 147. https://doi.org/10.3390/land11020147
- Madge, J. (1962). The New Towns Program In Britain. Journal Of The American Institute of Planners, 28(4), 208-219. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944366208979447
- Mahdavi, S. (2022). Experience of New Towns in Iran: planning for the people or with the people?. International Journal Of Environmental Studies, 79(2), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207233.2022.2033488
- Mahtta, R., Fragkias, M., Güneralp, B., Mahendra, A., Reba, M., Wentz, E., & Seto, K. (2022). Urban land expansion: the role of population and economic growth for 300+ cities. Npj Urban Sustainability, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s42949-022-00048-y
- Mason, A., & Lee, R. (2022). Six Ways Population Change Will Affect the Global Economy. Population And Development Review, 48(1), 51-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/padr.12469
- McDonald, G. (1975). Social and geographical mobility in the Scottish new towns. Scottish Geographical Magazine, 91(1), 38-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/00369227508736298
- McManus, R. (2016). The peaceful path, building garden cities and new towns. Planning Perspectives, 32(1), 143-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/02665433.2016.1241538
- Merlin, P. (1991). Les villes nouvelles en France. Presses Universitaires de France - PUF.
- Merlin, P. (1980). The new town movement in Europe. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 451(1), 76-85.
- Mironowicz, I. (2018). Land of New Towns. Disp - The Planning Review, 54(3), 4-5. https://doi.org/10.1080/02513625.2018.1525192
- Perloff, H. (1966). New Towns in Town. Journal of The American Institute Of Planners, 32(3), 155-161. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944366608978199
- Olds, K. (1994). INTA 17: An action plan for the next decade of urban development: A threshold conference on creating confidence and prosperity, jointly with the New Town Experience Conference and the World Property Market Exhibition. Land Use Policy, 11(3), 234-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/0264-8377(94)90025-6
- Pazhuhan, M., Ziari, K., Ghasemzadeh, B., & Qurbani, H. (2015). Urban identity and Iranian new towns. Journal of Urban and Regional Analysis, 7(1). https://doi.org/10.37043/jura.2015.7.1.6
- Peiser, R., & Forsyth, A. (2021). New Towns for the Twenty-First Century. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Robertson, C. (1964). New industries and new towns in Scotland's industrial growth. Scottish Geographical Magazine, 80(2), 114-123. https://doi.org/10.1080/00369226408735932
- Rother, E. T. (2007). Revisão sistemática X revisão narrativa. Acta Paulista de Enfermagem, 20(2), v–vi. https://doi.org/10.1590/s0103-21002007000200001
- Sarvar, R., Tavakoli, M. R., & Bahirayi, H. (2016). New Towns planing and Manegment; social development and creating a vibrant city [Review of New Towns planing and Manegment; social development and creating a vibrant city]. National Geographical Organization.
- Sharifi, A. (2016). From Garden City to Eco-urbanism: The quest for sustainable neighborhood development. Sustainable Cities and Society, 20, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2015.09.002
- Simpson, B. (2010). Britain's New Towns: Garden Cities to Sustainable Communities. European Planning Studies, 18(5), 861-862. https://doi.org/10.1080/09654311003594075
- Stelter, G. A. (2018). Military considerations and colonial town planning: France and New France in the seventeenth century. In Gridded Worlds: An Urban Anthology (pp. 141-153). Springer, Cham.
- Smith, P. (1966). Changing Objectives in Scottish New Towns Policy. Annals of The Association Of American Geographers, 56(3), 492-507. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8306.1966.tb00574.x
- Tanabe, H. (1978). Problems of the new towns in Japan. Geojournal, 2(1), 39-46.
- Taylor, R. (1969). New Towns in Western Australia. Royal Australian Planning Institute Journal, 7(4), 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1080/00049999.1969.11510038
- Van Leynseele, Y., & Bontje, M. (2019). Visionary cities or spaces of uncertainty? Satellite cities and new towns in emerging economies. International Planning Studies, 24(3-4), 207-217. https://doi.org/10.1080/13563475.2019.1665270
- Van Zee, M. R. (2012). Form and Reform: The Garden City of Hellerau-bei-Dresden, Germany, between Company Town and Model Town. Company Towns, 41–67. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137024671_2
- Vongpraseuth, T., Seong, E., Shin, S., Kim, S., & Choi, C. (2020). Hope and reality of new towns under greenbelt regulation: The case of self-containment or transit-oriented metropolises of the first-generation new towns in the Seoul Metropolitan Area, South Korea. Cities, 102, 102699. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2020.102699
- Wakeman, n. (2016). Practicing utopia : an intellectual history of the new town movement. The University Of Chicago Press, Cop.
- Wang, L. (2022). China’s new town movements since 1949: A state/space perspective. Progress In Planning, 155, 100514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progress.2020.100514
- Wang, L., Kundu, R., & Chen, X. (2010). Building for what and whom? New town development as planned suburbanization in China and India. In Suburbanization in global society (Vol. 10, pp. 319-345). Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Wawrzynski, J. (2005). New towns concept in Poland. In Learning from Other Countries: The Cross-National Dimension in Urban Policy Making (pp. 131-140). Routledge.
- Wezenaar, H. J. (1999). Leisure land‐use planning and sustainability in the new town of Almere, The Netherlands. Tourism Geographies, 1(4), 460-476.
- Wilson, I. (1986). The French new towns — Les Villes Nouvelle. Planning Outlook, 29(1), 26-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/00320718608711762
- Wei, H., & Mogharabi, A. (2013). Key Issues in Integrating New Town Development into Urban Transportation Planning. Procedia - Social And Behavioral Sciences, 96, 2846-2857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.317
- Wu, S., Zhuang, Y., Chen, J., Wang, W., Bai, Y., & Lo, S. (2019). Rethinking bus-to-metro accessibility in new town development: Case studies in Shanghai. Cities, 94, 211–224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2019.06.010
- Xue, C., Wang, Y., & Tsai, L. (2013). Building new towns in China – A case study of Zhengdong New District. Cities, 30, 223-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2012.02.003
- Zamani, B., & Arefi, M. (2013). Iranian New Towns and their Urban Management Issues: A critical review of influential actors and factors. Cities, 30, 105–112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2012.01.003
- Ziari, K. (2006). The planning and functioning of new towns in Iran. Cities, 23(6), 412-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2006.08.006
- Ziari, K., & Gharakhlou, M. (2009). A Study of Iranian New Towns During Pre-and Post Revolution. International Journal of Environmental Research, 3(1), 143-154. https://doi.org/10.22059/ijer.2009.43
- Ziari, K. (2015). New Towns planning. Tehran: Samt Press.
- Zehner, R. (1971). Neighborhood and Community Satisfaction in New Towns and Less Planned Suburbs. Journal of The American Institute Of Planners, 37(6), 379-385. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944367108977387